Make your own free website on

 22 June 2007


:: About Us


:: Immigration Facilities


:: Travel Documents



ECOWAS Travel Certificate

Emergency Travel Certificate

  :: Immigration Forms
  :: Information
  :: Contact

Nigeria's Diplomatic Missions & Consulates

Immigration formations in Nigeria

Contact Us



Who qualifies
All Nationals of Countries that are signatories to the ECOWAS treaty
(see ECOWAS Page)


It is valid for travel within the ECOWAS Sub-region

The ECOWAS Travel Certificate serves  dual purpose, namely

(i) Passport:
    It is a recognized travel document valid for journeys within the Sixteen (16)
    Countries of ECOWAS
(ii) Form of Identity:
     This proves the identity of the holder  a community citizen.

 It can be held concurrently with the National Passport.


Issuing Authority

The facility is issued at the Service Headquarters, 36 State Commands, FCT office as well as all Immigration offices in the 774 local governments of the Federation.


Requirements for Issuance of ECOWAS Travel Certificate

Duly completed application form

Three(3) recent coloured (4x4 cm) passport photographs

Evidence of age (birth certificate or statutory declaration of age)

Letter of Introduction from Employer (for salaried workers only)

Letter of confirmation of Nigerian Citizenship from applicant's Local
     Government Chairman.

Students and Trainee applicants shall obtain letters of introduction from
     the heads of their institutions accepting Immigration Responsibility (IR)

Any other document which might be required by any locality as evidence
     of Nigerian Citizenship.



A Travel Certificate shall be valid for two (2) years and shall be renewable for a further period of two (2) years.

Replacement, Amendments etc

A travel Certificate may be replaced on the following conditions:

(i) If the pages are exhausted while the certificate is still valid.
(ii) If the certificate has lasted for the ten years total validity period.
(iii) If it is mutilated in any form or requires amendment.
(iv) If it is confirmed lost or stolen.


Application for replacement shall be made in the same or any other prescribed form, and supported by attaching the certificate to be replaced. Lost or stolen certificate may only be replaced after a reasonable time must have elapsed (i.e. about two to six months) and must be supported with.

(a.) Proof of citizenship
(b.) Police report



List of Cancelled Passports




Join the NIS Online Forum

 Click Here!


Subscribe to our Newsletter


Print Page


Disclaimer | Terms of Use